Latest News from the Northern Film School
University backs bid to relocate Channel 4 to Leeds
With news that Channel 4 could relocate part of its operations to a city outside of London, Leeds Beckett University is joining the bid to bring the broadcaster to the city.
Graduates’ chip shop documentary hooks top film award
A team of Northern Film School graduates are celebrating after scooping an award at this year’s Leeds International Film Festival (LIFF).
Hollywood Film featuring Leeds Beckett students and staff receives prestigious award nomination
Hollywood film, Mansfield 66/67, a collaboration featuring more than 100 students and staff from the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, has been nominated for a prestigious Women’s Image award.
The Northern Film School is one of the best known film and television schools in the UK, making innovative and award winning films for over 25 years. Storytelling, technical expertise and creativity, all taught by professionals, make our graduates the filmmakers of the future.
The School prides itself on:
- Practical filmmaking, with real production budgets
- Teaching staff with international film and TV credits.
- Industry partnerships, placements and collaborations.
- Specialised teaching in Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Production Design, Cinematography, Sound, Editing and Animation.
- State of the art camera and lighting, sound, editing and post equipment.
- Industry standard studios, post-production suites, and production offices.
- Courses informed by film theory and criticism.
With its roots originating in the late 1970s in the Leeds Polytechnic Film Unit, the Northern School of Film and Television came into being in January 1990. Eventually simplifying its name to the Northern Film School and residing within the School of Film, Music and Performing Arts at Leeds Beckett University, the Northern Film School offers filmmaking awards at BA (Hons), MA and PhD levels, attracting students from around the world.